Sunday, January 29, 2012

Challenge #4: According to Jim

This week's challenge was going to be skiing tricks. Land a 180 and attempt a 360. I know everyone (with the exception of my chiropractor) was excited to see the results. I had it all planned out - hit the slopes Friday night, edit the video Saturday, and post it Sunday. One thing I didn't plan on, however, was that Syracuse, NY (a city renown for mammoth amounts of snow) would have zero inches of accumulation in late January. Thus, I dejectedly returned to my list of challenges, and landed upon "Buy a complete stranger lunch."
I hopped in my car and headed yet again out toward the mall. As I was about to turn onto the highway, I noticed a man with a sign that read "Jobless. Willing to work. Please help." I pulled into a parking lot, called him over, and told him I wanted to buy him lunch. His momentary incredulity quickly warped into excitement as he hopped in. He introduced himself as Jim, and off we went.
I offered to buy him "anything he wanted" for lunch - and he picked McDonald's. I snagged a few burgers and a nice hot cup of Mc-Joe, all while peppering my captive conversant with questions.
According to Jim, the sign and the street corner were a recent development. He was formerly in the "drug game" but got out once his kids were born. (The incredulity was now mine). Unfortunately, his wife was heavily into the lifestyle, so once the drugs and money were gone, she left him with two kids. During the summer, he works construction - but those jobs are rare during the Syracuse winter: hence the sign. For the entirety of his story, my thoughts rapidly oscillated between "Give him $500" and "What a liar!"
In the end, I gave him the change from the $20 bill used to buy his lunch, my phone number in case I could assist him further (why not? - he's not going to prank call me), and took him back to his lonely spot by the freeway. The entire experience made me feel extremely blessed, but also awakened a sense of deep pity that I have not felt in some time. The more intriguing question however, is what did Jim think???
Dude out,
-C.R.

Next week's challenge: Get rid of everything I don't use.

1 comment:

  1. I've often wanted to do this. I struggle with figuring out how to respond compassionately in a way that will genuinely help. I hate the oscillation between suspicion and pity that makes these encounters difficult.

    ReplyDelete